At Southwark, we believe that it is vital that children are in school on time, every day.
Children who attend school every day are more likely to:
Make more academic progress
Leave school with higher academic levels
Develop socially and emotionally, making strong friendships with their peers.
To give our children the best chances and opportunities, they must be in school. We will work tirelessly to get the children into school but we can only do it with your help and commitment.
• Statistics show a direct link between under-achievement and absence below 96%.
• Regular attenders make better progress, both socially and academically
• Regular attenders find school routines, school work and friendships easier to cope with
• Regular attenders find learning more satisfying
• Regular attenders are more successful in transferring between primary school, secondary school, and higher education, employment or training.
Responsibilities of Teachers:
• Ensure that all students are registered accurately & on time.
• Promote & reward good attendance at all appropriate opportunities.
• Liaise with the appropriate member of staff on matters of attendance and punctuality.
• Communicate with pupils and parents/carers regarding absences and poor punctuality.
Responsibilities of Pupils:
• Attend every day unless the reason for absence is unavoidable.
• Arrive in your classroom on time, every day.
Responsibilities of Parents and Carers:
• Ensure your child attends school every day unless the reason for absence is unavoidable.
• Ensure your child arrives in their classroom on time, every day.
• In the event of being late, take your child to the main entrance, complete and sign a late slip at the Attendance Office and include a reason for lateness.
• In the event of any absence, inform the school on the first day of absence and every subsequent day of absence by phone (0115 9150466 option 1) or at the attendance office, unless a doctor has supplied written evidence for a specified length of time.
• Avoid taking their child out of school for non-urgent medical or dental appointments.
• Provide written medical evidence to support any absence if requested by the school.
• Only request for leave of absence if it is for an exceptional circumstance - ensuring our school procedures are followed.